With the dawn of a new year comes a whole slew of new makeup collections from many brands. Last year saw the rise of reddish eye makeup and blueish-pink lips. In term of texture, glossy eye makeup was popular with, in particular, THREE’s Whisper Gloss for Eye launching the trend. Now what’s new for 2017 in Japanese makeup?
Well, this year, the use of reddish color still remains, however, the overall look is brighter, pop and springlike.
RMK is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year. RMK is the brand that spread the use of liquid foundation and revolutionized the base makeup in Japan. Since, the brand gradually developed color makeup as well, as their concept “face closet” was born from the idea that women should be able to change their face / makeup just like fashion when they choose their outfits from the closet to fit their moods and opportunities.
To celebrate their 20th anniversary, RMK focuses on 2 colors. One is the color they cherish the most: pink. Pink represents the brand and makes girls happy. Combined with the other color, beige, RMK thinks we can deal with any situation. The SS collection is called “Color Change” and invites you to enjoy the multitude of looks that you can create from pink and beige when played with different textures.
Launched on Jan.6
- Face Pop Eyes, 6 sku, 3800 yen
- Face Pop Creamy Cheeks, 4 sku, 3200 yen
- Face Pop Powder Cheeks, 3 sku, 3200 yen
- Face Pop Matte Lips, 3 sku, 3000 yen
- Face Pop Lips, 4 sku, 3000 yen
- Face Pop Double Stick Gloss, 4 sku, 3800 yen
- RMK Nail color EX, 6 sku, 1500 yen
Chicca, as already presented previously, is a Kanebo’s brand featured by the Japanese makeup artist Yasuo Yoshikawa. The lovely SS collection, “Heart Butterfly” is inspired by a little girl’s jewelry box. Pastel colors and sparkles through the butterflies shaped eyeshadows or gloss, bring spring to you. All the items give you Chicca’s signature translucent finish as light as your skin.
Chicca has so far launched several items, such as the Mesmeric Wet Lip Oil, Flawless Glow Solid Foundation or the Flush Blush, selected as best cosmetics by many different beauty magazines for the natural finish they provide. Chicca has the particularity to consider blush as a base makeup and makes it a special item in the brand to bring glow and vitality to the whole makeup look.
Launched on Jan. 18
- Flawless Glow Flush Blush, 2 sku, 3000 yen
- Flawless Glow Flush Blush Powder, 2 sku, 3000 yen
- Mesmeric Wet Lip Oil, 1 sku, 3200 yen
- Mesmeric Lip Stick, 2 sku, 3800 yen
- Mesmeric Lip Line Stick, 1 sku, 2800 yen
- Mesmeric Gloss On, 1 sku, 2800 yen
- Mystic Powder Eyeshadows, 3 sku, 5500 yen
- Nuance Color Lid, 1 sku, 2800 yen
- Mystic Soft Pencil Eyeliner, 1 sku, 3000 yen
The new collection is inspired by Japanese flowers, combining delicate beauty and vitality. The 2 opposite concepts brought together create unique gradations and depth. Some of the products such as the limited edition of Designing Color Eyes got sold out in 15 min after the launch…
The eyeshadows are well rated by consumers for gliding on smooth, the good pigmentation, the elegant glitters and the high-quality powder.
Launched on Jan.20
- Designing Color Eyes, 6 sku, 6800 yen
- Extra Glow Lipstick, 5 sku, 4000 yen
- Pure Color Blush, 3 sku, 5500 yen
- Nail Color R, 3 sku, 2500 yen
Kanebo’s brand Lunasol’s spring collection is “Purification”, inspired by a sky with double rainbows, after the rain. Moisturized glossy and clear look is created by the bright and colorful palettes. The particularity of this brand ‘s eyeshadows is that whatever shade you layer, the finish doesn’t get dull.
Lunasol’s eyeshadows have won many awards every year for its color variations easy to use and for its good fit for Asian skin.
Launched on Jan.13
- Colorful Sky Eyes, 4 sku, 5000 yen
- Sherr Aqua Stick Eyes, 5 sku, 3000 yen
- Aqua Coloring Mascara, 3 sku, 3000 yen
- Shiny Pencil Eyeliner, 3 sku, 2000 yen
- Sherr Aqua Stick Lips, 5 sku, 2500 yen
- Aqua Cheeks, 2 sku, 2800 yen
- Coloring Sheer Cheeks (Glow), 2 sku, 2500 yen
- Nail Finish N, 5 sku, 1500 yen
Addiction’s “Flower Evolution” is inspired by the Swedish artist Hilma Af Clint.
The focus of the collection goes to the eyeshadows made by the brand’s original manufacturing method “floral mosaic”.
All the colors in one eyeshadow blend well to create a unique shade.
Addiction’s The Eyeshadow has been awarded as the best cosmetics 2016 by Japan’s biggest online cosmetics review site @cosme.
Launched on Jan.6
- The Eyeshadow, 10 sku, 2000 yen
- Blush, 3 sku, 2800 yen
- Lipstick Pure, 3 sku, 2800 yen
- Nail Polish, 6 sku, 1800 yen
I am really curious about the mosaic eyeshadow finish from Addiction but also want to feel the elegant and Japanese color taste from Suqqu, even though, it’s the priciest brand. Chicca’s trademark light texture has to be tested as well…so I’m still on the fence about what brand to go for, although most of the limited editions and many of the new other products must be already sold out now as Japanese people LOVE new launches.
What would you try? Or were you lucky enough to get those new trendy products? Let me know!